Anybody that knows me well knows that historically I have been very active blogging as well as engaging fellow professionals on LinkedIn and other collaboration vehicles. You might even say that’s an understatement. I love to write blogs! I love being part of big and exciting conversations! Especially ones that help drive the industry forward, to collaborate as we all navigate the changes in our industry (and others) to create bright futures for everybody involved. I love, more than anything, doing my part to make a difference.
So where have I been? You might be wondering why I’ve been soooo quiet the last couple of months, so let me explain.
I wanted to view the office equipment world from the outside. I’ve spent the better part of the last 16 years or so working hard to help office equipment dealers to innovate, to become more profitable and to do things in ways that made it hard for their competitors to keep up.
It’s what I love to do.
I love it so much, in fact, that I knew being so close to it wouldn’t allow me to fully explore the current state of the industry, to see what market dynamics were truly at play that would impact all of our businesses and professional lives for the next five to 10 years. So I removed myself from the equation and became a student, not a contributor. It has had a profound effect on my understanding of where our industry is today been, where we came from and, most importantly, where we need to be headed.
There are three paths for office equipment dealers moving forward:
- Stay the course: Continue doing what you’re doing, the way you’ve always been doing it.
- Sell to a bigger fish: The office equipment channel is undergoing massive consolidation. If you’re in a selling mood, there’re lots of people in a buying mood!
- Focus on REAL growth through convergence: There was a time when your businesses looked very different. Maybe you only sold printers. Maybe you only sold copiers. Maybe you only sold desktops and servers. You are likely selling two out of the three now. A new age of prosperity will require that you look at doing all three. That’s where my money is.
For those that choose business convergence, will it be hard? I’m sure some aspects will be! But to paraphrase John F. Kennedy, “We go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is hard.” Trust me, I’m not just saying you have to take that chance, so do I!
And I am. In my new role as Vice President of Business Development for Tigerpaw Software I will have some learning to do to, as office equipment is only one industry in the technology services space that is facing convergence. Some hard learning. But I’m excited about having the opportunity to still work with those in managed print while taking my convergence passion into new areas as well.
So, why Tigerpaw Software? The answer is threefold:
- Tigerpaw One: The business management platform of the future requires expertise in convergence for every industry, including office equipment, IT services, A/V, security and telephony. The days of offering only one service or the other are behind us. If you are looking to stay the course, sell your business or grow in new ways, we’ve got what you need. The right business management system will increase the value of your business regardless of the road you’re on.
- Tigerpaw’s vision: I’ve known many of the folks at Tigerpaw for years, and the vision they have of the future is perfectly aligned with my own: Convergence is king. They’ve done the hard work of building the future, and it’s #morethanprint, #morethanIT, etc.
- YOU deserve more: Status quo isn’t fun. You deserve the best software. You deserve the best customer service. You deserve the best because you ARE the best. That’s how Tigerpaw treats their customers and that’s how you deserve to be treated. Period.
Our industries are changing and evolving. Those driving the future need to change too. I’m looking forward to doing my part with Team Tigerpaw to help customers and partners in the entire technology services space profit from the future. It’s going to be an incredible journey and I look forward to working with those out there with the same excitement and vision.
Are you ready to turn business convergence into pure opportunity? Go put on some orange and let's do this!
Learn more about business convergence
So what does business convergence even look like? Jeff Bendix of BENDIX Imaging is a living and kick-ass example. Download this Convergence Case Study to read his story.